Craving comfort food? Knock up this creamy mac ‘n’ cheese
I love mac n cheese. Somehow, cooking it over the campfire makes it even tastier than cooking it indoors. This is one of my favourite camp meals to eat after a big day in the hills.
- Pre-diced pancetta
- 350g macaroni
- 1 large white onion
- 1 sachet of cheese sauce mix
- 500ml of milk (or as much as is detailed on the packet
- 100g pre-grated cheese (you can use anything that’s a good melter – Gouda, Gruyere… whatever you fancy)
- 1 packet of breadcrumbs
- Dutch oven or large pot suitable for the campfire
- Additional pan suitable for using on the campfire
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board or plate to chop on
- Spatula or wooden spoon
- Bring a pan of water to the boil and cook the macaroni.
- In the Dutch oven, fry the pancetta. This will give off enough oil that you don’t need to bring any.
- Add the onion and fry until softened. Add the cheese sauce packet mix and milk and stir vigorously to ensure there are no lumps. You can replace the packet mix and make a roux but the packet mix is a lot less effort when cooking over the campfire.
- Cook until your sauce has thickened and then add the grated cheese.
- Once cooked, drain the macaroni and add it to the Dutch oven or big pan and coat well with sauce.
- Serve with breadcrumbs sprinkled on top for that extra crunch.
Top tip: change this up by adding different sauces, for example smokey bacon sauce (make), chipotle sauce or even replace the pancetta for chorizo to make a Spanish take on mac n cheese.